Kuroda Yoshitaka was stationed here by Toyotomi Hideyoshi in 1587. After the Battle of Sekigahara he was rewarded with greater lands in Fukuoka and replaced by Hosokawa Tadaoki. Hosokawa finished the construction of this castle and also built Kokura Castle. When Hosokawa Tadaoki moved to Kokura Castle he placed his son Tadatoshi in Nakatsu Castle. Following the Hosokawa, the Ogasawara Clan took over the castle and ruled until they were replaced by Okudaira Masashige in 1717. The Okudaira ruled until the Meiji Restoration.[Source]