The Church of St Edward is a stone Norman church built between the 11th and the 15th centuries. It stands on the site of the original Saxon church, believed to have been made of wood. Much of the visible structure, including the bell tower, dates from the 15th century when the church was enlarged with funds enriched by the community's wool trade. The church was also renovated in the 17th and 19th centuries. A renovation in 1873 by architect John Loughborough Pearson was completed for the Reverend Robert William Hippisley who served as rector during that period.